Friday 11 April 2014

2. Mexican Squash Soup





When we went to Mexico in February I had this amazing soup, Pumpkin with Rosemary and Coba honey.

I was determined to try and recreate this when we got home.
I couldn't find any Coba honey but bought some local honey from the airport.
Pumpkins aren't around at the moment so decided to have a go with a butternut squash.
While my offering was some way off the holiday soup, it was definitely an improvement on my usual soup.

Mexican Squash Soup
1 tbsp oil
1 tbsp Mexican honey
3 sprigs of rosemary
1 large onion
2 cloves of garlic
1 medium butternut squash
1 litre of vegetable stock

Method
Switch oven onto Gas Mark 6.
Cut the butternut squash into small cubes, chop onion, slice the garlic and add to a roasting tin.
Add oil ,rosemary and honey and coat the vegetables.
Roast in the oven for 35 minutes, stirring a couple of times during cooking.
Place stock in large saucepan and add the vegetables.
Blitz with hand blender.
Garnish with toasted pine nuts or sunflower or pumpkin seeds.

*I served it with some leftover garlic bread topped with Gruyere Cheese